The premise of this session was simply that the PCs were hanging out in this fortress city in the Wasteland named, "New Cancun." Honestly, I don't come into sessions with a lot of prep, and in octaNe it's pretty impossible to anyway. It's like riding a bull - just grab the horns, hold on, and go "YEEHAAW" a lot.
Playing in the game were: Ian, a guy I know from LiveJournal and who surprised me by showing up at the con; Jeff, who I've gamed with before and is hilarious; James, who I'd just met a few hours before I ran octaNe, and is the designer of Pulp Era and the awesome-sounding Spookybeans; and my good buddy Bob who came to Dreamation with me. The cast was:
Ian - a Techno-Shaman
Jeff - an Elvis Impersonator
James - a Capuchin Monkey
Bob - a Crazed Aviator
This game ran perfectly. People were suggesting things to each other, cracking jokes, and just having a ball. Here's the highlight reel of in-game events:
- The Capuchin Monkey tearing ass through New Cancun on a dog's back
- The Techno-Shaman dropping acid with his tribe (and the Monkey) - the psychic energy from which caused the spirit of the junkyard to arise and go on a rampage
- The Elvis Impersonator pacifying the junkyard spirit by performing a marriage between it and the Crazed Aviator's gyrocopter
- The Techno-Shaman summoning a sand worm to eat a group of desert raiders that were attacking
and, the game's climax...
- The Elvis Impersonator battling the desert raider's leader, a Michael Jackson impersonator, in a dance-off/rumble on top of a speeding dune buggy.
This game is awesome because it just encourages this crazy insanity. It burns out after about two hours, but that's fine - if I'm at a party and we want to roleplay, I'm going to bust this out. Short and awesome, and drinking can only make it better.