|Saturday, February 11th, 2006|
9:22p - A call for suggestions/help
Ok, so I'm working on running a new campaign. I'm trying to figure out what ruleset I want to use.
- I'm perfectly willing to run something new (this will be a PbP game - forum based - and thus not knowing the rules by heart won't be a big issue - I can take time to look up rules in the middle of a combat scene w/o the players getting frustrated.)
- I want something easy enough that players who have little experience with gaming in general can learn it quickly enough.
- I want something complex enough to handle skill-based characters, cybernetic characters, psionic characters and mutants (characters with physical mutations/powers.) Plus advanced weaponry (slug-throwers, but better than today's. Most scifi weapon would be an energy-blade sword.)
- I don't want d20 (unless HEAVILY modified) or games like it (IME, d20 really needs a map and miniatures to do it right, and I'm not looking for that.)
- Skill/point based over level based advancement.
- Preferably something I can download for free or really cheap (or *cough*illegally*cough*). My players won't be local, and I want them to be able to get the ruleset as well.
- I've looked at Tri-Stat, and it has potential, but I'd like to see what else is out there?
Any thoughts/suggestions/commentary/experiences/links would be greatly appreciated.
current mood: thoughtful
(11 comments |comment on this)
10:56p - Modern LXG
Okay something that I have wanted to do for a long time would be a modern day League of Extraordinary Gentlemen campaign. I love the comic book and think it would work great as a modern campaign. The only problem is that since I most only read Sci-Fi and Fantasy I could only think of a couple of characters to make up the team. As of right now here are the characters I have.
Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler series) – Deep Sea Explorer and all around adventurer.
Robert Langdon (Angels & Demons, DaVinci’s Code Dan Brown) – World-renowned symbologis and illuminati scholar.
David Bourne (The Bourne Identify, Robert Lundam) – Secret agent with no memory of his past.
Violet Baudelaire (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket) – A Slightly older Violet is now a world class inventor and tinkerer.
I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas for characters. I am trying to keep it to literature but I would appreciate any help I can get.
(43 comments |comment on this)