?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Roleplayer's Community's Journal

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> profile

Wednesday, January 8th, 2003
7:46a - first post here
well this is my first post here.. so i guess ill introduce myself.. my name is Brian, im relativly new to gaming.. maybe about a year or so.. I mostly play Palladium based games.. Rifts, Nightbane, and the like.. i've been known to play some free style RPGS with friends.. just running off pure imagination.. and ofcourse like any roleplayer i've played AD&D a few times.

only played w/ one or two people at a time unfortunatly.. i find making NPCs and general creating much more fun than playing or GMing.. i dont know what it is.. i've worked on (about a year or two ago), and completed a total DBZ conversion for the Rifts system.

and ofcourse the ongoing aquiring of dice is fun :D


current mood: mellow

(1 comment |comment on this)

8:11a - Reality Check
I just got this response to my last post about our Cleric killing the town with an earthquake.

"so do you play any non-Monty Hall-ed games?

That sort of scenerio only shows up in games with mondo powers, etc.

I hope your having fun, because I don't call that D&D."

I was going to simply post a reply in the thread, but I thought this engaged a larger topic.

Before I get to that, however, I would like to respond, as I know I will be posting more stories like the last one.

Why? Because they're funny. I enjoy sharing amusing anecdotes with others. And based on the responses I've seen, it's been pretty positive. (Or else the negative people have been polite enough to ignore me) Please forgive me for sharing.

Secondly, do not assume that because I share something that's what the entire game is like, or that's the only type of game I'm involved in. I've been gaming for 17 years and have played in many different types of games.

Finally, the implication that "mondo-powers" is a bad thing. I've played this game for just about 2 years now, enough time to justify quite a bit of the power levels. Are our power levels a bit higher than most? Yes. Is it necessary and does it fit this particular story? Definitely. I understand there are many mega-power games out there where the characters are in it primarily for a thrill-kill session ("Okay, you just killed Thor and got his hammer, here comes Odin, roll initiative..."), but please don't assume because someone shows a good deal of power that it's a cheesy "mondo-power" game.

Okay, that's off my chest, now to my real beef...

"I hope your having fun, because I don't call that D&D."


If there is one thing that annoys me more than anything about the general roleplaying community it's the "purists".

"No, no, you can do that, because on page XX of [insert arcane book reference here] it said he died and gave his throne to Umlak son of Helgar of the clan of the Purple Asswarts, and he hates all elves every other Tuesday due to the curse placed on him by..."

People need to understand it's just a game, not the bible. If people want to adapt a good system to their needs, or base their worlds 90% off of a suppliment, they're allowed to!

I'm not saying the person who posted that comment thinks this way. Hell, I don't know them from Umlak son of Helgar of the clan of the Purple Asswarts. But the comment sounds all too familiar. "You don't play things the way I do, so you're wrong/inferior/etc"

Different people need different things from gaming. For some, it's an escape. Others relaxation. Others need it for amature dramatics and Tolkien rip-offs. Hell, some people just need it for something to do when they're stoned! Do these different needs mean one game is better than another? No, different people get what they need from their own game, or else they wouldn't be there.

So yes, I do enjoy my game. I enjoy the high drama, the detailed storyline, the even more detailed backstory, the overwhelming earthshattering plotline, and all the stupid little things my friends and I do while we're enjoying ourselves.

And if you don't like it, that's okay, no one asked you to. Enjoy your game and we'll enjoy ours.

end rant

*whew*

(26 comments |comment on this)

8:55a - Animal Companions, Familiars, mounts, etc.
How do you folks handle the role-playing of animal companions, familiars, etc?

I'm currently running a medium-high-level campaign (10th level to start) where - at the moment, 4 out of my 6 players have a "pet" of some kind.

(Two familiars (one owl, one imp - his owner's player took Improved Familiar as a feat), one mount and one animal companion.)

So far, the players haven't had much of a chance to involve their pets (given the varied statuses of the animals, I'm using pets as a all-purpose term, I am well aware its not accurate for any of them.) in combat - and for that, I am relieved, because I have yet to figure out how to handle it without feeling like I'm juggling chainsaws.

Any suggestions?

(17 comments |comment on this)

3:02p - Know-it-alls and different gaming styles
Hi! I don't think I've posted here, but I've read this journal for probably at least a year. Wanted to share some things that are going on in the game I'm playing in.

We do a round-robin system, where one person DMs out their campaign, then someone else does, carrying on the same player characters, the same world, etc. This can be really cool--you get the chance to see how each person takes on the responsibility of running the game versus playing a character, and that can give some neat insights into their personalities.

But it's not without its snags. Right now we're on our second DM for this world/set of characters. The first DM ran what was basically a really long dungeon crawl, except some of it happened above ground. We came out of that after six months of playing with fifth level characters, and a decently tight-knit group. That DM was pretty free with magic/magic items/masterwork items--in that if it was in the book, it could probably be bought, looted or found.

The DM we're playing with right now runs a bit tighter game. He's running a quest-type-campaign, and I expect it will last longer than the first. His view on the books and the items/monsters/rules inside is very similar to mine: they are guidelines for balanced campaigns. If he wants to switch the powers/features of the chromatic dragons with the metallics, well, that's great! I mean, none of our characters have ever seen a dragon, so how would we know that that particular dragon has ice blast at 4d6 damage for a breath weapon?

On of the players is very much a book-gamer; he thinks that if it's in the book, it's readily available. He has this notion in his head about getting poisonous retractable armor spikes, and he'd gotten really hung up on this idea that he just had to have them. The first DM knew this, and really didn't say anything about it--the party wouldn't have had a chance to do anything concerning armor or weapons til the new campaign. The new DM doesn't think the armor spikes are something that would just be lying around, or even easy to find.

That player is really uncomfortable in the new campaign. He explained to me--if the DM keeps changing the rules from how they are in the book, how is he supposed to know how things work? How is he supposed to play his character?

This spurred a long conversation between he and I, which I can't find at the moment. The gist, though, was this: does he know all the rules for real life? He misunderstood and cited some laws--but those are only applicable to lawful good characters. What are the laws of the universe we live in? He admitted that he didn't know them all. Next game, he had a lot better time--he started playing his character as a guy who knows more than most instead of the guy who knows everything. Oh, and he let the poisonous retractable armor spikes go.

How do you guys deal with players who think their characters know everything? How do you deal with players who are in the game for decidedly different reasons (exp. points, loot, levelling up) from the rest of the players (in our case, fodder for fiction writing for most of us)? That second part is what reminded me to post this--I don't think there is One True Way to game, but I do think that some of the different ways don't mesh very well. Oh, and do any of you do the round-robin thing? If so, how do you manage having characters at proper exp. levels with the right tools for the level of campaign they're going into next? Example: DM #4 is planning on running a very high-level game and needs our characters to be between 10th and 15th level for his game, but the current DM and DM #3 think they'll only have levelled us up to 8th or 9th level.

(16 comments |comment on this)


<< previous day [calendar] next day >>
> top of page
LiveJournal.com